The ATHENS 2004 Organising Committee for the Olympic Games is the body responsible for organising and hosting both the 2004 Olympic and Paralympic Games. To accomplish its mission and to ensure impeccable performance and functioning of all operational areas during the Games, ATHENS 2004 has joined forces with the Greek Government as well as with local authorities all over the country.
ATHENS 2004 cooperates closely with the IOC on all organisational matters and is in constant contact with International and National Sports Federations, as well as, with non-governmental organisations or other entities involved in the preparation of the Games.
The ATHENS 2004 mission is:
- To organise technically excellent Olympic Games.
- To provide to the athletes, spectators, viewers and volunteers a unique Olympic experience, a legacy for the Olympic Movement.
- To display the Olympic ideals in a contemporary setting through their traditional Greek symbols.
- To promote and implement the Olympic Truce through the Torch Relay.
- To control the commercial aspect of the Olympic Games.
- To promote the cultural and natural heritage of Greece worldwide.
- To showcase the achievements of modern Greece and its potential for the future.
- To protect and enhance the natural environment and promote environmental awareness.
- To promote the benefits of the Games throughout the country.